Sunday, June 20, 2010

Individual Lemon Mascarpone Trifles


I have a fabulous bookclub that meets once a month and this was my month to host. I decided to make shrimp and grits and individual trifles for dessert. I didn't know what to expect with my trifle but it was so delicious! The lemon and the creme de cassis were such great compliments to each other and really exceeded my expectations. The best part...this took all of 5 minutes to make.  I am already planning to make a larger version for the 4th of July!


Adapted from Giada 


1/2 cup sugar 
1 lemon, zested and juiced 
16 ounces mascarpone cheese 

1 cup of whipping cream
1 store-bought angel food cake, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices 
1/2 cup creme de cassis liqueur 
2 cups quartered strawberries 
Fresh mint leaves, chopped, for garnish (i skipped this) 




In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar with the lemon juice. Cook until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
In a medium bowl, combine the cooled sugar mixture with the mascarpone cheese, whipping cream, and the lemon zest. Using a whisk, whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy.
To build the trifle, line the bottom of a glass with a layer angel food cake. Brush the angel food cake with some creme de cassis liqueur. Spoon a layer of the cheese mixture over the pound cake, and then a layer of berries. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a top layer of berries. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Garnish with chopped mint leaves.







1 comment:

  1. Yum! Glad I found your blog, maybe it will inspire me to start cooking... a little bit.

    ReplyDelete